List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1389120



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Aug-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 486696

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3004NW DENMARK TERRACE 577-1/31/182 (West side) 13/10/52 Brighton and Hove High School for Girls (The Temple) (Formerly Listed as: MONTPELIER ROAD (West side) The Temple (Brighton and Hove High School for Girls))


House, now school. 1819. Probably by Amon Wilds, for Thomas Read Kemp. Originally it was square in plan with 5 bays on each side, and 2-storeyed with the domed upper storey set well back on all sides. It became a boys' school in 1828; the present first floor on the original building dates from before 1876; the wing to the south-west corner was added, as the inscription records, for the Girls Public Day School Company in 1891, and further alterations were made in 1911-12; the additions of these and other dates mean that only the east and north sides of the building retain the original ground-floor treatment of 5 arcaded bays. Stucco, roof of Welsh slate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement with dormers in mansard roof; 8-window range to east front. Entrance in central bay of east front, probably of c1900: flat-arched with bracketed canopy; flat-arched windows to ground floor set back under a round-arched arcade with paired engaged columns which taper downwards and have Egyptian bud capitals of exaggerated form; recessed panels to the spandrels; cornice; first-floor windows flat-arched; cornice; stepped parapet; 3 large dormers in mansard roof with alternating triangular and segmental pediments; the north and south returns are detailed in much the same way, except that the linked dormers have only triangular pediments, and the 1891 addition occupies the westernmost bay of the south front: this wing has flat-arched windows set back under a round arch to the ground floor and staircase, moulded storey band, flat-arched first-floor windows, cornice and corner stacks; pediment to west and north fronts. The west front of the main block much altered with a single-storey extension of c1900 and side-stack at north-west corner with scrolled consoles and cornice. INTERIOR: the interior has a pair of cast-iron columns with scalloped abaci in the hall at the south-east corner of the building. HISTORICAL NOTE: it is supposed to have been built on the exact measurement's of Solomon's Temple and so is called "The Temple". (Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).

Listing NGR: TQ3028704795

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Carder, T, Encyclopaedia of Brighton, (1990)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30287 04795


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2015 at 03:33:52.