List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1382907



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 483310

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5445 CATHEDRAL GREEN 662-1/7/39 (North side) 12/11/53 Old Deanery Court, with link wall along east side (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL GREEN (North side) The Old Deanery) (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL GREEN (North side) The Deanery Wall)


Former house, now offices. C15, refenestrated in C16 and altered in mid C20. Random stone rubble with ashlar dressings, mostly Welsh slate roof between coped gables. A single-depth first-floor hall plan, with through passage to the left, and with lateral fireplace to rear of upper hall. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 6 bays irregular fenestration. A C20 3-light window to lower bay 1, 2-light chamfer mullioned windows to ground floor bays 2, 4, 5 and 6, and to first floor to right of bay 2; between bays and 5, and to bay 6, are 2-light transomd windows, the upper lights pointed-arched, under square labels; bay 3 has a moulded 4-centre arch, reused, set in a former throughway under a timber lintel: battlemented parapet masking roof to bays 1, 2 and 3, vertical straight joint between bays 1 and 2. This thought to be a separate house originally (Pevsner). INTERIOR: the ground floor has probably early C16 moulded beams, probably in compartments in the original layout. At the E end a stone 4-centred doorway opens to the rear. The upper hall, now subdivided, has a roof in 5 bays with heavy arch-braced collars, chamfered purlins and wind-bracing, but with an upper cruck in the end bay, adjacent to the full-height wall inserted at the through-passage. The third bay at the back has a stone fire surround. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending from the south-east corner is a lower battlemented rubble wall, with a central 4-centre-arched gateway, linking into the gateway (qv) on the south side of the courtyard. Part of a major building complex long associated with the Cathedral and its administration. Link Wall along east side was listed on 130972. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 317).

Listing NGR: ST5502245946

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 317

National Grid Reference: ST 55025 45948


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2015 at 07:15:17.