List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1380779



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 481103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3204NW QUEEN'S PARK 577-1/35/712 Memorial Drinking Fountain, 60 metres north-east of The Lake


Memorial drinking fountain. Dated 1893. Grey granite base and pink granite dado and socles; terracotta blocks and sandstone dressings. Square in plan, with 8-sided corner piers; 2 stages. Free interpretation of Tudor style. Granite base of 3 steps. Each corner pier is panelled and covered with floral tracery. Each face dominated by a segmental arch, subordered and moulded, above which is sandstone acanthus cornice and flared segmental pediment. The traceried piers continue above this cornice terminating in 8-sided, onion-domed pinnacles. In the centre of the roof rises a cupola of red sandstone moulded with a variety of Tudor- and Elizabethan-period classical mouldings. The basins, now gone, were originally set in round-arched aedicules under the segmental arches. The tympanum of this aedicule filled with floral scrolls and shells. Inscriptions on a granite plaque above the former location of each basin remain. That on the south-east face reads: "Borough of Brighton Recreation Grounds Committee 1891. Alderman Joseph Ewart, M. D., Mayor, Councillor Edward Broadbridge, Chairman, Alermen Abbey, Botting, Davey, Hawles, Mainwaring, Martin, Moon, Councillor Berry, Booth, Dewe, Lowther, Saunder, Francis Je?, Borough Engineer and Surveyor, George Ward, Head Gardener." On the south-west face: "Borough of Brighton. This Park was opened and dedicated to the Free Use of the Public Forever on 10th August, 1892 by the Mayor and Mayoress of the Borough Alderman, Joseph Ewart, M. D., and Miss Ewart. Francis J. Tillstone, Town Clerk." On the north-west face: "Borough of Brighton. This Fountain was erected by the Council of the Borough to Commemorate the Gift of Queen's Park by the Trustees of the Race Stand for the Benefit of the Inhabitants of Brighton. A.D.1893." On the north-east face: "Borough of Brighton. Queen's Park. This Park was constructed at a cost of L.13,500 and presented to the Town of Brighton by Aldermen Henry Abbey, John Bridgen, J. P. , Samuel Ridley, J. P., and William Seynour, Borough Squire. Trustees of Brighton Race Stand, A.D. 1891, Samuel Henry Soper Mayor."

Listing NGR: TQ3215504531

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32155 04531


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2015 at 03:51:58.