List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1379332



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 478711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ3081SE LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS 798-1/106/1059 (West side) 24/10/51 Nos.57 AND 58 (Formerly Listed as: LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS Nos.57-60 (Consecutive))


House. c1730 by Henry Joynes. Later additions and alterations. Stone facade with heavy rusticated ground floor. Slated mansard roof with dormers. 3 storeys, attic and basement. 5 windows. Semicircular porch with coupled Roman Doric columns in centre and 3/4 engaged columns at sides; an addition of 1795 probably by Sir John Soane. Double entrances form semi-circle and have fanlights and panelled doors. Iron balcony balustrade across 1st floor. Enriched architraves to windows; 1st floor with pulvinated frieze and pedimented cornice. Ionic pilasters through 1st and 2nd floor between windows and on flanks, and enriched entablature with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice. Balustraded parapet. INTERIOR: square balusters to plain stone staircase. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: stone balustrades flanking entrance and around areas. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as one house, divided into two by Sir John Soane, restored to one building c1909. (Survey of London: Vol. III, St Giles-in-the-Field, part 1: Lincoln's Inn Fields: London: -1912: 108-109).

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Giles-in-the-Fields Part 1 Lincoln's Inn Fields: Volume 3 , (1912), 108-109

National Grid Reference: TQ 30657 81323


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2015 at 05:01:39.