List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1358692



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHounslowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Mar-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202483

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012

4419 TQ 2177 NE 1/150 TQ 2178 SE 2/150 11.7.51

CHISWICK LANE W4 (Mawson Row) No 110 (Ye Fox and Hounds and Mawson Arms) Nos 112 to 118 (even) and wrought iron railings to nos. 112 to 118 (even)


Terrace of 5 town-houses. c 1715, built for Thomas Mawson, founder of Fuller's Brewery. No 110 converted to a public house c 1897 and with later alterations. Brown brick with red brick dressings and rubbed brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor levels. Slated mansard roofs with dormers and tall brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each.No 110, 2 windows. Nos 112-118 form a symmetrical composition, the 2 centre houses (Nos 114 & 116) having mirrored plans with their doors set side by side to form the central feature. Fenestration grouping makes these 2 houses appear as one. No 110 does not relate to the symmetry and has a return front of almost equal importance. Rubbed brick round-arched entrances, probably early C19 replacements, with radial fanlights and C20 doors of C18 design. Sashes are early C20 replacements of probably early C19 sashes, in original flush boxes. Some original 6-pane sashes with thick, ovolo-moulded glazing bars survive at basement level. No 110 ground floor rebuilt late C20 with large window having glazing bars & panelled apron. Interiors, contrary to early C18 practice, appear to have been fitted out under the control of one man. All have original dog-leg stairs with barley twist balusters and square section newels and considerable quantities of square panelling, original cornices, doors and fireplaces. Some wide original floor boards. Nos 112 & 114 have interesting mid C19 alterations. The basements are of particular interest being virtually intact. No 112 includes C19 dresser, original door to stair, C19 plate shelf, good (later) door to area with iron reinforcing straps and simple panelled pantry. No 114 includes original fire surround, original sash window, substantial remains of a dresser, china cupboard with 3 curved shelves and doors and door to stairwell with hinges and thumb lock. No 116 includes original dresser, 2 panel cupboard door with ventilation grille, substantial remains of china cupboard, one and a half original sash windows. No 118 includes original dresser, sash windows with security device, door to area, cupboard with grille. All contain interesting original ironworks, ie hinges, bolts, bars and other security devices. Attached cast iron railings, to Nos 112-118 areas. No 110 was lived in from 1716-19 by Alexander Pope at which time he translated and published the Iliad and published his first collected works. The garden house (qv) may have been design for him. c1897 the brewery converted the ground floor into a public house known as the "Fox and Hounds" and also the "Mawson Arms". These houses are a fine and unusual survival of early C18 architecture and interiors.

Listing NGR: TQ2162178017

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 21621 78017


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2015 at 05:58:25.