List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1344922



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityNether Stowey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/59 Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed under General) 29.3.63


Parish church. C15 tower, remainder rebuilt 1851 by Richard Carver and Charles Edmund Giles, works executed by W M Shewbrooks of Taunton. Coursed and squared red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular and Decorated styles. Nave with South porch and North and South aisles, chancel with a North vestry, West tower, Embattled 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, corner pinnacles, embatted stair-turret, prominent gargoyles, 2-light bell-chamber windows; shafted tower arch. Four bay nave with arcading, 2 bay chancel; 2-light windows; South aisle with a parapet; 3-light East and West windows. Plastered interior; arch braced roof to nave and North aisle; lean-to roof to South aisle; plastered wagon roof to chancel. Restored octagonal font of C15; in the chancel 2 brackets with two bishops mitres to commmemorate two vicars who became bishops, probably late C18, Royal coat of arms of c1710. Four C18 tablets, one to North aisle pedimented, 6 C19 tablets; that adjacent to South doorway to Thomas Poole of 1837. Much C19 stained glass, of particular note the East window of the Ascension of 1886 by Ward and Hughes and the North aisle window of the Good Samaritan of l893. Tablet commemorating the rebuild adjacent to the tower arch. (Pevsner, buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1967439636

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 19674 39636


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Sep-2015 at 05:20:24.