List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1330249



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityChristleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55471

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/25 Church of St.James



Church: late C15 tower, the rest 1874-77 by W.Butterfield. Ashlar red sandstone. Green slate roof. Nave and chancel in one range, north and south aisles, south porch, side chapels to chancel and a 2-stage west tower. Aisles have rectangular windows of 2 or 3 cusped lights. Similar 2-light windows in the clerestorey. Gabled porch with arched entrance on engaged columns. Tall gabled and buttressed side chapel has a 3-light window with cusped tracery. Similar tall 2-light window in the chancel and a 3-light east window. Tower has diagonal buttresses and a stair turret at the south-east angle. 3-light west window and a 2-light louvred bell opening. Gargoyle rainspouts below an embattled parapet. The shingled pyramidal cap is Butterfield's addition. Interior: decorated with red and white sandstone. 5-bay nave arcades of double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. The clerestorey windows are over the piers and all the windows have wooden lintels. A wagon roof is sprung from stone corbels. Tall narrow triple-chamfered tower arch where plaster mimics the white stone. Wrought iron chancel screen beneath a hanging wooden screen. The panels of coloured stonework continue into the chancel and have a chequerboard pattern added in the upper portion. 2 bay arcades to the side chapels with the sanctuary beyond. This has a large alabaster reredos with cusped and quatrefoil panels filled with mosaic. Above, the roof contains painted quatrefoil panels. West window of 1877 by Gibbs and much of the other glass by Kempe 1884-1904. Large painted panels of the royal arms dated 1665, by Randle Holme III (Pevsner and Hubbard). fThe red sandstone came from Waverton quarry and the white from Stourton Hill.

Listing NGR: SJ4407765722

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 44077 65722


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2015 at 04:57:17.