List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1329627



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire EastUnitary AuthorityOver Alderley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58342

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/176 Whirley Hall


Hall: c.1670 with C20 alterations and additions. Flemish bond orange brick with buff sandstone dressings. Kerridge stone-slate roof, stone ridge and 2 brick chimneys. 3+-storey symmetrical 5-bay front (2:1:2). Brick bands at 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Lower 2-storeys have C20 wooden, mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars under flat wedged brick"heads. 3rd storey has 2-light casements. Above each pair of end bays is a stone-coped, shaped, gabled dormer, with an obelisk finial, containing an elliptical light in a rectangular stone surround. Central bay has a glazed door under a flat, gauged and rubbed brick head. Similar head to mullioned and transomed window above and 3rd storey has a circular light in a square stone surround. End gables are stone-coped on stone kneelers 1-storey, 2-bay C20 extensions to left and right in keeping. Interior: Original ground plan but only chamfered ceiling beams and a good oak dogleg staircase with turned, slightly bulbous, balusters, heavy handrail and square newels with some reeding. This house was an addition to a timber-framed hall, now demolished. A stone with "1599" was found during renovation but the existing features point (with the exception of the gables) to a late C17 date.

Listing NGR: SJ8763074608

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 87630 74608


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Mar-2015 at 05:20:33.