List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1311656



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BedfordUnitary AuthorityWilden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 36622

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/219 Parish Church of Saint 15.7.64 Nicholas


Parish church. C14 origins but mainly C15. Coursed limestone to tower, brown cobblestones and freestone elsewhere, with ashlar dressings. Chancel, N vestry, nave, S porch, W tower. Chancel: plain parapet and moulded plinth. 3-light E window, restored early C20. S wall has 2 3-light windows, SE one with sill carried down to form seat, and to E is C13 trefoiled piscina recess. N wall has blocked window and C19 doorway to C19 vestry. Nave: embattled parapet. N and S doorways. 2 3-light windows to both N and S walls, E of doorways. N wall has smaller 2-light window to W of door, and opposite it in S wall is 2-light C14 window. S porch: plain parapet. Outer archway renewed C19. Smail square-headed window to W and E walls. W tower: 3 stages, with diagonal buttresses, and restored embattled parapet. Pointed-arched W doorway within square head, surmounted by window similar to those in nave. Top stage has 2-light transomed window to each side. N and S sides of middle stage have small square-headed 2-light window. Interior: 1902 E window incorporates fragments of C15 glass. C15 octagonal font, partly restored C19, with shields, tracery and flower patterns carried on panels. Chancel has 1643 wall monument to Jasper Fisher, rector, and floor slabs to other rectors, Thomas Watson 1657, and Thomas Rolt 1695. C15 roofs, recently restored but retaining much original timbering, including carved bosses and brackets, those to chancel with figures of angels.

Listing NGR: TL0941255229

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 09412 55229


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2015 at 06:11:17.