List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1307772



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityHunsdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160004

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4114 HUNSDON WIDFORD ROAD (east side)

7/1 No 6 (Old House) (Formerly listed 4.12.51 as Ye Olde House)

- II*

House. Late medieval (RCHM Tpescript), T-plan hall house, with 2 storeys cross wing on right: large central chimney, stair tower and floor inserted in halli'n1681 (date on parlour fireplace lintel): single storey modern additions at rear and each end. Timberframed and plastered with frame exposed on front (W). Gabled steep old red tile roofs with gabled dormer to hall range on front and back.' Large ornamental chimney at junction of wings made up of conjoined lozenge shaped shafts. Tiled gabled porch. Higher red brick plinth to hall range which has close studding and flush box sash window cut down into the brickwork. The wide gable of the cross wing has close studding with straight tension bracing, remains of a wide first floor window (now altered for a sash window), a collar for the purlin roof, and 2 sash windows to Ground floor above the lower plinth. A large C18 plaster cartouche in the gable has a fountain with an armorial badge at the top. Lobby entrance beside chimney. 2-bay hall on left and 3-bay cross wing on right. Rear bay of wing partitioned on each floor, with a cellar below. Exposed timbers inside with axial chamfered and stopped beams and squared joists. C18 pine corner cupboard in hall with arched top, shaped shelves and raised and fielded panels to doors under. Heavy cambered tie beams in cross wing with close studding in closed truss on 1st floor. Separate pitched roof to stair tower in angle. Formerly 'Tippings', it became the Wheatsheaf in the later C17 and was then owned by the prominent Quaker family of Wharley. A striking late medieval hall house with a large cross wing and C17 central chimney. (RCHM (1911) 128: RCHM Typescript: HLHS (1979) 24, 34).

Listing NGR: TL4181414435

Selected Sources

Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 41814 14435


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Apr-2015 at 11:33:42.