List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1269934



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCraven Arms

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 460267

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO48SW STOKESAY 1943-1/5/121 Church of St John the Baptist 12/11/54 (Formerly Listed as: STOKESAY STOKESAY Church of St John the Baptist)


Parish church. C12, rebuilt 1654, chancel 1664. Nave, chancel and west tower. Sandstone rubble; C20 corrugated tile roof (nave); plain tile roof (chancel). Nave (south front): 2 chamfered elliptical-headed 2-light mullion windows; Transitional south doorway with chamfered semi-circular arch on attached columns to scalloped impost blocks; C19 rubble porch with stone tile roof. EXTERIOR: chancel: C14 2-light trefoil-headed mullioned window in chamfered square-headed surround; plank door in chamfered pointed arch; tablet, c1662, with moulded cornice, pilasters and Arms of Henry and Alice Bough; 3-light east window with lattice glazing under chamfered pointed arch. Tower: plain semi-circular arch to south doorway below C17 round-headed window and earlier opening; drip courses; C19 sundial; castellated parapet; weather-vane. INTERIOR: moulded ceiling-frame with plaster panels to nave. Stop-chamfered raking strut roof, dated 1664, to nave. C18 west gallery. C16 pews; C17 panelled and hooded pulpit and reading desk; C17 box-pews with cockspur hinges; C17 enriched canopy pew with 2 compartments and open arcade; C17 wall paintings with baroque surrounds. Tablets: Isabella Smith, d.1801; John Onions, d.1786. HISTORY: believed to have been severely damaged during the Civil War; a rare example of Commonwealth church building.

Listing NGR: SO4358281738

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 43586 81741


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2015 at 09:38:45.