List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1245992



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireGloucesterDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 472095

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO8218SE BLACKFRIARS 844-1/11/15 (South side) 23/01/52 South Range and Adjoining South End of West Range, Blackfriars (Formerly Listed as: COMMERCIAL ROAD (North side) Remains of Blackfriars in Mineral Water Works)


Part of Dominican friary (Blackfriars) comprising the south range and the adjoining south end of the west range of the former claustral buildings. Mid C13, remodelled 1540-45 for conversion to cloth manufactory for Sir Thomas Bell; later alterations for multiple domestic, manufacturing and commercial use; late C20 programme of conservation by English Heritage. Stone rubble with dressed stone features and details, tile roofs. PLAN: south range extends along the south side of the former friary cloister and at its west end abuts the south end of the west range; further north the vestigial remains of the central portion of the west range are incorporated into a terrace of houses, Nos 13-17 Ladybellegate Street (qqv). Originally the south range contained the farmery at the east end and the buttery at the west end with a long dormitory or library on the upper floor; the west range contained the refectory. EXTERIOR OF SOUTH RANGE: two storeys; on the north side of the ground floor at the west end the remains of a C13 lavabo in an arcaded recess; in the centre an arched doorway; on the first floor a series of identical, small rectangular windows; on the south side at the west end a large doorway with weathered moulded jambs and arched head; further east other original and later openings; on the first floor a series of windows similar to those on the first floor of the north side. INTERIOR OF SOUTH RANGE: on the ground floor a central row of timber posts support bridging beams; on the first floor along both the north and south walls the remains of identical carrels separated originally by thin screen walls with segmental, moulded arched heads over each recess; remarkable surviving example of C13 open roof with close-set timber trusses. EXTERIOR OF WEST RANGE: in the south gable-end wall a stepped triplet of lancet windows with moulded jambs and heads; in the west wall the remains of closely spaced lancet windows with

similar mouldings. INTERIOR OF WEST RANGE: a full height storey; the triplet of lancets in the south gable-end wall framed in an arcade of slender shafts with moulded capitals and bases under a wide relieving arch. Now part of Ancient Monument in the care of English Heritage which includes Blackfriars Church and Adjoining remains (qv).

Listing NGR: SO8294118407

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 82941 18407


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Sep-2015 at 01:22:20.