List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1228277



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of DerbyUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 402847

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


402847 893/1/153 IRON GATE 893/2/153 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 20-JUN-52



1. 5170 East Side Cathedral Church of All Saints

SK 3536 SW 1/153 SK 3536 NW 2/153 20.6.52.


2. Formerly the Collegiate Church but raised to Cathedral status when diocese of Derby created 1927. Fine, tall, late Perpendicular stone west tower remains from the original early C16 church but the body of the present building of circa 1725 is a good classical design by James Gibbs. 5 semi-circular headed windows at each side with characteristic Gibbs rustication and with coupled pilasters between balustraded parapet. Fine spacious interior comprising broad nave aisles, chancel chapels, gallery and organ loft at west end; east end extended 1972 by addition of retro-choir designed by Sebastian Comper which contain a classical style baldachino. Splendid wrought iron screens, partly renewed and restored, across nave and aisles, the work of William Bakewell. Modern stained glass in chancel chapel windows by Ceri Richards. Many good monumnts: in south chancel chapel (also known as the Cavendish Chapel) to Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury ('Bess of Hardwick') (1607); to Caroline Countess of Bessborough (1760) by Rysbrack and of her husband, the 2nd Earl (1793) by Nollekens. In the north aisle: Thomas Chambers (1726) and wife (1735) by Roubiliac; Richard Bateman (1822) by Chantrey; Mary Elizabeth Chichester (1830) by Sir Richard Westmacott.

Nos 9 to 11 (consec), Nos 15 to 17 (consec) and the Cathedral Church of All Saints form a group with No 2 Amen Alley, No 1 Queen Street together with Nos 1 and 3 College Place and two posts at west end of College Place.

Listing NGR: SK3523436506

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 35234 36506


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2015 at 03:31:11.