List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1224711



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireNorth HertfordshireDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jun-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 420840

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 1828 NE QUEEN STREET (South-east side) 834/3/337 North-eastern block of 6.6.1975 buildings at the British School


Former boys school, comprising 3 classrooms and attached outbuildings. 1837, 1853 and earlier, with early C20 alterations and additions. Red brick, laid to Flemish bond, with Welsh slate roof coverings. FRONT: Single storeyed, 6-bay aisled schoolroom of 1837 on east-west axis with early C20 6 bay schoolroom built along its south side, projecting slightly westwards, and with lean-to porch in the angle of the 2 ranges. At its north-west corner, schoolroom of 1853 with side lean-to and C20 outbuildings extending west wards at its western end. 1837 part with a large boarded-up window at each end, the openings set beneath gauged brick arches, and pedimented gables, each with an occulus. Blocked gauged brick arched window openings to aisles on western end, and at eastern end on left, steps lead to a 6-panel double door. To the right a re-set date stone which reads 'WW 1810'. Clerestorey with continuous 12 pane windows. Early C20 block has 3, 8-pane sashes and a gable occulus at western end, and 4, 2-light windows with 8-pane sashes to right return. The 1853 schoolroom has a door at each end on south side and a hipped roof with lateral chimneys to north side and a lantern incorporating continuous glazing comprised of 6-pane lights. INTERIOR: 1853 part with 5 stepped floor, a small hearth to the north wall, a 6-panel double door and arch-braced tie beam trusses. HISTORY: The school was originally founded in 1810 by William Wiltshire, a Hitchin lawyer. The 1837 schoolroom, designed for 300 pupils, was built according to then principles of Joseph Lancaster, founder of the British and Foreign School Movement, and based upon the monitorial system of teaching. The 1853 schoolroom is a rare surviving example of a galleried classroom, built according to the recommendations of Matthew Arnold.

Listing NGR: TL1865128860

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 18651 28860


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2015 at 03:14:57.