List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1210759



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity of WestminsterLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 209516

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Large terraced town house. 1682 origin, built as 2 houses in Sir George Downing's development of the street; remodelled as one property, incorporating a large house of c.1677 to the north facing Horseguards Parade, 1723-35 by the Office of Works (Kent, Isaac Ware and Flitcroft all probably involved); the street front refaced (with No. 11 q.v.) c.1766-75 by Kenton Couse; major reconstruction/restoration 1960-64 by Raymond Erith. Darkened brick street front with sparse stone dressings, slate roof. 3 storeys, basement and dormered mansard. 5 window wide astylar front. Doorway in 2nd bay from right, recessed panelled door and fanlight in stone architrave with shaped consoles to moulded cornice; similar disused doorway to left. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches. Stone plat band below 1st floor sill band; main stone cornice below parapet with coping. Cast iron area railings with overthrow lampholder. The rear north premises of C.17 origin remodelled c.1723-35, are of red brick with hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys on basement and dormered attic. 7-window wide symmetrical north front with 3-window centre break, 5-window west return. Recessed glazing bar sashes under flat gauged arches. Although the interior has been replanned (in conjunction with Nos. 11 and 12) and carefully reconstructed, the principal rooms and the north staircase remain; top lit stone stairs with substantial S pattern iron balustrade; 2 storey vaulted kitchen of c.1723-35; Dining Room (and breakfast room) by Soane 1825-26 with typically individual shallow vault design and panelling; Drawing Room with 2-column screen decorated in the Kent manner; Cabinet Room with a screen of 2 richly carved Corinthian columns; fine collection of statuary marble chimneypieces; etc. No. 10 has been the official residence of the Prime Minister as first Lord of the Treasury since 1735.

Survey of London; Vol. XIV. History of the King's Works; Vol. VI.

Listing NGR: TQ3004679951

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Margaret Westminster Part 3 Neighbourhood of Whitehall Volume 2:Volume 14 , (1931)
Mordaunt Crook, J, Port, M H , 'The History of the Kings Works' in The History of the Kings Works 1782-1851, , Vol. 6, (1973)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30059 79937


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Aug-2015 at 02:55:32.