List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1210710



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Stoke-on-TrentUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 384510

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ94SW UPPER BELGRAVE ROAD, Normacot 613-1/7/105 (South side) Church of the Holy Evangelists


Parish church. 1846-7 by GG Scott (at the expense of the Duke of Sutherland); the N aisle, 1891-2, by John Lewis. Coursed, squared and rusticated rubble with plain tiled roofs with scalloped bands. Nave with 2 aisles, and chancel with south aisle chapel and north vestry. Early Decorated style. Central buttress in west wall of nave flanked by lancet windows, and rose window over. Gabled porch in centre of north aisle, with 2-light Decorated windows with quatrefoils each side. Lancet windows to south aisle which is a slightly later addition. Bellcote at east end of nave. INTERIOR: arcade of 4 bays with alternating octagonal and cylindrical shafts, and corbels as responds. Chancel arch also carried on corbel heads, with royal arms over. Ornate roof, with curved principal rafters carried on posts from corbels. Arms of Duke of Sutherland and Earl of Lichfield in tiles in the floor of the nave, and dates 1846 & 1847. Original pews. Reredos with 3 arcaded foiled arches over central statue. Sedilia. Stained glass in chancel of 1886 and 1949, and in south aisle, 1858-1876, and north aisle 1874-1892. (The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-).

Listing NGR: SJ9200842394

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1963)

National Grid Reference: SJ 92008 42394


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2015 at 06:11:52.