List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1197011



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386595

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY3955NE THE ABBEY 671-1/10/20 Ruins of Dormitory of former Priory 13/11/72 of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: THE ABBEY Remains of Cathedral Cloisters)


Dormitory (or dorter) for the Priory of St Mary, now in ruins. Mid or late C13. Large blocks of red sandstone with ashlar dressings. This former 2-storey building extended in a north-south alignment from the south transept of the Cathedral and joined the Fratry at right angles, forming the east range of the Cloisters. The west wall survives in part at ground floor level and has a pointed-arched doorway with trumeau; this gave access through the undercroft as a vestibule for the Chapter House opposite. The east wall has almost entirely gone, only the pointed-arched doorway into the Chapter House survives. Inside the west wall are the springers for the rib vaulting of the undercroft, which continue along the east wall of the Fratry; on the inside of the east wall is a further springer. On the east side of the Chapter House doorway (inside the Chapter House) is the beginning of the ribbed blind arching. Excavations (unpublished) in the 1950s revealed the ground level one metre below the present surface with medieval tiles in place in the Chapter House (now lifted). The slype arches which continued the wall to link with the Cathedral on the north were removed in 1809 as part of the new layout of the Cathedral grounds (see Carlisle Journal, 15 April 1809). For proposals to convert the ruins into the Cathedral Library in 1693, see JH Martindale, CWAAS, Trans.NS, XXIV. An engraving from a drawing by Thomas Hearne shows the ground floor intact in 1777 and a similar drawing viewed from the Cloisters by Robert Carlyle c1791, are in Carlisle Museum. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc. New Series: Martindale JH: XXIV: Remains of Conventual Buildings, Augustin.Priory, Carlisle: P.1-16).

Listing NGR: NY3989655929

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Carlisle Journal' in 15 April, (1809)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 24, (), 1-16

National Grid Reference: NY 39887 55924, NY 39896 55929


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Sep-2015 at 07:48:29.