List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1196940



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386723

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY4055NW ENGLISH STREET 671-1/12/134 (East side) 01/06/49 Nisi Prius Courthouse, associated offices and gate arch (Formerly Listed as: Assize Courts)


Formerly known as: The Citadel. Citadel, then Court House and Court Offices, now County Council Offices. 1542 by Stephen von Haschenperg with 1809-12 alterations and additions, by Thomas Telford and Sir Robert Smirke. Red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with string courses, machicolated cornice (in part) and battlemented parapets. C20 greenslate roof on offices without chimneys and hipped lead roof on tower. Tower was formerly the Nisi Prius Court and is oval, the core being the former Citadel east tower, heightened and refaced in C19; clasping NW side is a 2-storey (internally 3 storeys) office block of 6 bays, with mock gate projection into English Street; all in Gothic style. The tower has tall 2-light windows in rounded deeply-recessed chamfered archs, over small lancets and 2-light openings. Office block has left double plank doors in pointed Gothic arch; similar off-centre doorway projects in a battlemented porch, now fitted with a casement window. Ground floor 2-, 3- and 4-light stone mullioned windows above with central trefoil heads in pointed arches. Gate projection is basically an elongated passageway to the court; ends in 2 octagonal turrets flanking central arch under a cross vent; the side walls have been pierced by 2 pointed arches created in 1929 (formerly the pavement went round the turrets). Left return has windows similar to the main facade (some are C20) and blind statue niches. Rear has some C20 windows inserted. INTERIOR of tower retains its galleried semicircular court seating and judges bench (ceased to be used 1971). Ceiling replica replaced in 1980s renovation; much external stonework was replaced in same restoration. Office block interior extensively altered. For further details see references on Crown Court description.

Listing NGR: NY4025055669

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 40250 55669


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2015 at 07:57:16.