List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1188473



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityHoby with Rotherby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190213

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HOBY WITH BROOKSBY ROAD SK 61 NE ROTHERBY Brooksby Church of St Michael 1/279 1.1.68


Church. Tower begun early C14 completed C15. Body of church early C16. Restored and spire rebuilt 1874 by R W Johnson. SW nave window inserted 1911. Uncoursed random stone rubble with limestone dressings, portions of old render. Ironstone ashlar to E and S walls. Slate roof, Swithland slate to S slope. Nave and chancel in one, N and S porches, W tower. 4-light E window with straight head, hollow-chamfered mullions and round- arched heads to lights and hood mould. Similar 3-light window to SE and similar 2-light windows either side of S porch. C15/early C16 oak S door of massive plank construction with ribs, original hinges and pattern of interlocking cusped ogee arches to head. Hollow-chamfered doorway, trefoiled spandrels and rectangular hollow- chamfered surround. Shallow, gabled porch of ironstone with round-arched head to doorway. 4-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion and transon window to N with king mullion and cusping to straight-headed lights. C15/early C16 ribbed plank door with original hinges. Hollow-chamfered doorway with trefoiled spandrels and hood mould in shallow gabled porch with chamfered Tudor-arched doorway. 2-stage tower has 2-light W window to bottom stage with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Canted stair turret projection to SE corner. 2-light bell-chamber openings with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoils to heads and hood moulds; tracery missing to N. Frieze of alternating cusped triangles and quatrefoils to base of battlemented parapet Which has gargoyles to angles. Crocketed spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions. Offset buttresses to W angles with crocketed gables to second offset, that to left with ball-flower dividing gable, that to right with blank cusped tracery. Diagonal off-set buttresses to chancel. Body of church has battlemented parapet with cross slits and frieze of shields in quatrefoils to base. Stone-coped E gable set behind parapet. Interior: Fine C19 hammerbeam roof with half bays either end. Complete set of C19 fittings. Chequered red and black tile floors. Wave-moulded doorway to stair turret to left of tower arch, which has polygonal responds, within continuous chamfer and wave moulding outermost. Jacobean-style communion table. Series of stain-glass shields to east and south windows showing alliances of the Villiers family in the seventeenth century. Monuments: Large incised alabaster slab in sanctuary commemorating Sir William Villiers d.1480 and his wife Joan and second wife Agnas. Large wall monument in chancel to Sir William Villiers d.1711 and his wife Dame Ann Villiers. Black marble plinth, veined grey marble architectural background with Corinthian pilasters and two round-headed arches against which stand life-size figures of Sir William in contemporary dress and his wife in classical-style drapery. 2 winged cherubs heads to spandrels of arches behind their heads. Pilasters have statuary marble capitals and support entablature with urns flanking cartouche of arms; arms and figurative details all of statuary marble. Bronze bust signed Ferdinand Forbes and dated 1938 of Admiral Lord Beatty d.1936. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.l14. J R Hubbard, Brooksby, 1977.

Listing NGR: SK6709716004

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hubbard, J R, Brooksby The story of an estate and its people, (1977)
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 114

National Grid Reference: SK 67097 16004


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Mar-2015 at 08:24:56.