List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177590



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityEmborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268069

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



8/50 Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (previously listed as Church of St Mary) 2.6.61


Anglican Parish Church, now redundant. C12, C14, C18 alterations, some C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, freestone dressings, coped verges, slate roofs. Nave, north aisle, south porch, central tower, chancel. Perpendicular and C18 Gothic. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs, corner pinnacles, parapet with pierced cusped lozenges, single-light bell chamber windows, quatrefoil interlace, squat stair turret to north. Three bay nave, 3-bay aisle, 3-light windows with plain intersecting tracery; except broad single-light window to west end of aisle and 2-light Decorated window with cusped rere-arch; sloping buttresses; north and south doorways, to south pedimented C18 porch incorporating moulded Perpendicular outer door opening, paired panelled inner doors. Single bay chancel, 2-light Perpendicular window to south, 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Interior plastered on flagstone, wood block, tile and encaustic tile floors. Nave with a plastered wagon roof of c1600, interlacing vine frieze, floral motifs and sunbursts; aisle ceiling in 3 sections with cornices; plastered vaulting under tower; C19 roof to chancel. Arcade of 3 plain arches to aisle, moulded springers. C13 tub font; Jacobean altar table; good C18 fittings including west gallery, dado panelling, pulpit and altar rails; early C19 organ; 2 C19 readers, chair and pews. Royal arms; C17 and C18 inscriptions to floor, many fragmentary, some ray even be earlier; 6 C18 wall monuments. Rood stair. Building in care of the Redundant Churches Fund. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6144051358

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 61440 51358


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2015 at 11:24:05.