List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1175444



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityCombe Florey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/63 Church of St Peter and St Paul



Parish Church. A little C13 work, mainly late C15, chancel added circa 1846, restored 1901. Red sandstone random rubble masonry, mainly red sandstone dressings, tower faced with coursed squared ashlar, slate roofs, double roman tiles on North aisle. Four bay nave, chancel, 3 bay North aisles, South porch, West tower. Crenellated 3 stage tower with finials, diagonal buttresses, stair turret in North west corner, 2-light trefoil headed windows, 4-light perpendicular window with Ham stone dressings over heavily moulded 4 centred arch doorway - all with hood moulds except second stage windows. 3-light cinquefoil windows flanking porch, two 2-light to East beyond roofed stair projection, 3-light East end, 3-light also at East end of aisle. North aisle has six early C19 painted windows with Y tracery, two at East end with cinquefoil rear arches. Gabled South porch with coped verges. Interior: standard perpendicular piers with carved angel capitals, wagon roofs. Good late C15 bench ends; perpendicular pulpit probably made from rood screen dismantled when chancel added. Late C15 octagonal font with trefoil decoration on C13 base. 1614 alms box. Cinquefoil niche on North aisle wall with late C13 inscription above - the heart of a nun, Maud de Merriete was originally inserted here in what was a chantry chapel and property of the lords of the manor until late C19. Tomb of a knight, Sir John de Merriete and his two wives early C14. Late C15 brass to Florence Fraunceis and another to Nicholas Fraunceis early C16. Blank tablet on West wall of North aisle with cartouche, volutes and apron, dedicated to Philippa Fraunceis died 1745. Chancel window, circa 1846, dedicated to the Rev. Sidney Smith. (Photographs NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1506231170

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 15056 31168


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2015 at 03:51:38.