List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1138257



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaAllerdaleDistrict AuthorityWorkington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72304

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/10/2012

NY 0028 10/79 6.6.51

WORKINGTON WASHINGTON STREET (West side) Workington Church of St John and adjoining Community Hall

(Formerly listed as Church of St John and adjoining parish room)


Chapel of ease, now parish church and community hall. 1822-23 by Thomas Hardwick with 1846 and 1888 additions. Hammer-dressed calciferous sandstone, from Schoose and Hunday Quarries, with ashlar eaves, pilasters and plinth. Graduated green-slate roof with modillioned overhanging eaves and gable pediments.

PLAN: 5-bay nave/- chancel with west portico; 1846 west square ridge tower under bell cupola; north vestry , and attached community hall, added 1881, to east.

EXTERIOR: Chapel with double panelled west doors with patterned over-light in stone architrave under plain frieze and console-bracketed cornice; flanking panelled doors in stone architraves under large round-headed niches, all within tetrastyle Tuscan portico. Tall round-headed side windows in stone architraves.

INTERIOR: Interior galleries on 3 sides on slender fluted cast iron columns, the rear of the galleries with segmental recesses to light pews below. Flat plaster ceiling with geometricl ribs and coats-of-arms. Baldacchino and font cover by J N Comper, 1930. Tall C20 carved oak pulpit. Community hall adjoins east wall, the north gable doorway offset to left, with ashlar surround dated 1881 below drip mould, and with 3-light mullioned windows, one to the left, and one above to gable centre at first floor level. Tall, 3-light side wall windows light interior, the greater part of which is open beneath decorative hammer beam roof trusses.

HISTORY: The church was built in the style of St Paul's, Covent Garden at the cost of £10,000, by the architect who restored that church.

Listing NGR: NY0043228499

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 00432 28499


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Sep-2015 at 01:23:09.