List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1134620



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KirkleesMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 340966

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



29.3.63 Church of All Saints


Perpendicular Church. Circa 1485, incorporating parts of C.13 Church. Restored 1872-3 by Walter Hanstock. Deeply coursed stone. Stone slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel with lean-to aisles, south porch, recent vestry to north. Corbelled out machicolated and castellated parapet with tall square pinnacles. 2-light louvred and traceried openings to bell chamber. Four 2- light square headed clerestory windows to nave. Buttressed aisles with 2, 3 and 4 light square headed windows some with round arched lights, some with stained glass. Some have been restored. Decorated south doorway. 5-light traceried Perpendicular east window with 4-light and 3-light square headed window with round arched lights to left and right respectively.

3 bay Decorated south arcade, c.1330, with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches. North arcade c.1485, of octagonal piers with double chamfered arches. Chancel arch in the base of which south side is a narrow rood stair with ogee head. The Mirfield Chapel to north founded c.1485 has completely preserved parclose screen, and contains 2 alabaster effigies of Sir William and Lady Anne Mirfield, c.1496, on stone tomb chest with low relief carving of a series of ladies holding shields. The Lady Chapel, to south, has parclose screen probably later C.16, the cornice band of which is decorated with shields, mermen and dragons. The screen was restored in 1852 using cast iron. 8 sided, ribbed font dated 1662. South aisle window contains a crucifixion scene made up of fragments of C.14 glass.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE2413324456

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 24130 24457


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Sep-2015 at 04:50:15.