List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1127000



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWitchford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49521

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



20/31 Church of St Andrew 5.2.52 - II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, and 1376 nave and chancel. Field and rubblestone and dressed limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with end parapet to chancel. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel. Three-stage embattled west tower has C18 gault brick repairs. No plinth and unbuttressed. Dressed limestone quoins. Restored west window of two lights in two centred arches and similar paired lights to bell stage. Nave: Three windows of three cinquefoil lights with Decorated tracery in two centred arch with label. Continuous double chamfered north and south doorways. Nave buttressing has off-set. Canted west walls with single lancet to connect with west tower. The chancel has east window of three lights with Decorated tracery. Interior: C17 staggered butt purlin nave roof. C13 two centred tower arch partly blocked. Chancel arch is two centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital. Two niches, C14-C15, flank the chancel arch. There is a low side window in the south wall. The font is C13. Limestone. Tapering octagon on a column with splayed lower edge and moulded holdwater base.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.504 V.C.H. Cambs. IV

Listing NGR: TL5038178789

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 504
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 50381 78789


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Apr-2015 at 05:39:36.