List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1121382



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
County DurhamUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 110407

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



14/351 Cosin's Library 19.10.62 (University Library) (formerly listed as CV II* Cousin's Library)

Library. 1667-8 by John Longstaffe for Bishop Cosin who gave it for public use. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roofs of sandstone flags. 2 storeys, one wide bay. Central door with 3 over 3 elliptical- headed panels in stone architrave under open and broken segmental scrolled pediment which contains coat of arms. 3-light stone mullioned-and-transomed window above has segmental-headed lights. Eaves string; high parapet, altered in C19 from battlements to conceal heightened roof pitch, has roll-moulded coping. 2-storey canted porch at right, added mid C19, has door in elliptical- headed surround. 3 elliptical-headed windows above.

Interior: internal porch has rear screen panelled in same style as door; inserted gallery on octagonal wood columns, with spiral stair of wood and iron. Bookcases, with dentilled cornices over frieze painted with portraits of philosophers and other famous men, alternate with narrow bays, now filled with shelves, which have swag decoration in segmental pediments on cornices. Scrolled pediment over internal porch has swag and coat of arms. 1845 stone chimney piece in Tudor style in memory of Bishop Thorpe. Small room added at rear in 1670 by Longstaffe.

A scheduled ancient monument.

Listing NGR: NZ2734342284

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 27343 42284


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2015 at 09:52:04.