List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113389



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SloughUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 38737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/1 Baylis House Including Forecourt Walls And Pavilions Adjoining To North-east (formerly listed 29.9.50 as Baylis House and outbuildings)

G.V. I

House, forecourt walls, and pavilions, now management centre. Circa 1695, possibly by Dean Hascard with alterations and additions in 1725-6 by Thomas Rowland, north-west wing, some internal alterations, forecourt walls and pavilions attributed to John James of 1733-5, and further alterations in circa 1750, the early C19, and 1954 when the 1726 top storey was removed after a fire. House; south-east block: red brick with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Entrance front: gauged brick window heads and giant order of pilaster strips at ends and flanking slightly projecting centre 3 bays; sunken semi circular panels above ground floor windows, plat band, wooden dentil eaves cornice with central 3 bay triangular pediment, coped parapet, lead downpipes, and 4 ridge stacks off-centre to left and right. 7 bays, centre 3 narrower; glazing bar sashes with small panes, 2 on ground floor to left sealed and panelled over inside. Central paired half glazed doors with rectangular overlight; doorcase consisting of brick pilasters with rendered blocked rustication, blank panel in architrave above, and console brackets supporting dentil cornice which breaks forwards at ends. Garden front: similar but without semi circular panels above ground floor windows. 2 central half glazed doors with rectangular overlight and early C18 doorcase consisting of plain architrave and console brackets supporting triangular pediment. Venetian window lighting staircase in light well to north-west. North-west block: red brick with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Entrance front: gauged brick window heads, plat band, moulded brick cornice, coped parapet, and 3 stacks. 4 bays, glazing bar sashes with small panes. Garden front: 3 bays with first floor blind window to left. 6 bay north-west front. Interior: largely early C18 but with some later alterations. Entrance hall with black and white flagged floor, fielded panelling; doorcases with lugged architraves, pulvinated frieze, dentil cornices, and panelled reveals; fireplace with shouldered architrave and panelled overmantel with dentil cornice; large arch to staircase hall with imposts and keystone. Dog-leg staircase to north-west with C19 wrought iron balustrade and fielded wainscot panelling. Ground floor front room to left with re-ordered fielded panelling; doorcase with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze with bay leaf ornament, and broken triangular pediment with Cartouche and Godolphin shield in tympanum; fireplace with carved shells and foliage, and console brackets supporting carved cornice. Present library contains 3 bay Ionic colonnade with fluted columns, quilloche ornament on soffits of beams, and rich plaster frieze and cornice. Further panelling and fireplaces on both floors. Forecourt walls and pavilions: attributed to John James of 1733-5. 2 walls: approximately 2.5 metres high and projecting approximately 40 metres to north-east of house, breaking back with quadrant corners. 6 bays of blind arcading at south-west ends and 3 bays at north-east ends, with gauged brick piers, arches, imposts and keystones. 6-panelled door in arch of north-west door near house, and C20 wrought iron gate in arch of south-east wall near house. 2 pavilions: red and grey brick with stone dressings and pyramidal slate roofs. Square of Slough, plan at north-east ends of forecourt walls. 2 storeys. Each pavilion has 3-bay blind arcading on inner face with gauged brick piers, arches, imposts and keystones; central arch on north-west pavilion has been raised at a later date and an arched sash inserted. Each has coped clasping buttress on outer corner, plat band, stone eaves cornice, and globe finial to roof. South-west pavilions has later stack to north-east. Small first floor sashes on inner faces and to north-east. The house was built for Dr. Henry Godolphin, Provost of Eton, in 1708. The First Lord Rosslyn, Lord Chancellor 1793-1801, died here in 1805. V.C.H. (Bucks), Vol. 3, p.304; B.O.E.(Bucks), p.240; The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, p.145; The Story of Slough, Judith Hunter, Local Heritage Books, 1983, pp.47-8.

Listing NGR: SU9694780868

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hunter, J, The Story of Slough, (1983)
Maxwell, F, The History of Slough, (1973), 145
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1908), 304
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire, (1960), 240

National Grid Reference: SU 96947 80868


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2015 at 08:59:11.