List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113223



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2981SE GREAT RUSSELL STREET 798-1/104/684 (South side) 29/03/88 Nos.23-28 (Consecutive) Congress House including forecourt and courtyard sculptures


Trades Union headquarters building and sculptures. 1953-7. By David du R Aberdeen. Sculptures by Jacob Epstein and Bernard Meadows. For the Trades Union Congress. Polished granite and blue tile cladding; aluminium windows. EXTERIOR: 7 storeys, 28 windows in a continuous strip. E-shaped plan round an internal courtyard on restricted site bounded by 3 streets; imposed height limitation of 80 ft. Building houses the Memorial Hall, Library, Secretariat and Council Chamber. Principal elevation to Great Russell Street a rectangular block on pilotis; recessed ground floor glazed, upper floors continuous strip windows alternating with bands of granite cladding, those at top floor being large rectangular lights with a band of half lights above. Plinth in front of entrance supporting bronze sculpture by Bernard Meadows. Side elevation to Dyott Street more boldly modelled. Small balconies to the five main storeys at the north end, the glazed drum of the horse-shoe staircase to the basement in the centre, and a projection of the first floor beneath which is the Memorial Hall. INTERIOR: is of interest spatially and retains most original fixtures and fittings. Top-lighting of the hall is provided by glazed hexagonal coffers which form part of its space-frame roof. On the west wall of the courtyard a pyramidal screen of green marble acts as a backdrop for the TUC War Memorial by Jacob Epstein (1955-6). HISTORICAL NOTE: widely regarded, at the time of its completion and since, as one of the most important institutional buildings erected in London, and one of the most significant 1950s buildings in Britain. (Architectural Review: December 1957; Jacob Epstein: Sculpture & Drawings: London: -1987).

Listing NGR: TQ2994981473

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in Jacob Epstein Sculpture and Drawings, (1987)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29949 81473


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2015 at 06:13:25.