List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1081053



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: 

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204770

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



963/1/1129 Waterloo Bridge

16.01.81 II*

Road bridge over the River Thames. 1939-1945. Rendel Palmer and Tritton, engineers, with Sir Giles Gilbert Scott as consulting architect. Reinforced concrete with Portland stone cladding; piers of granite. Five pairs of parallel wide segmental arches rest on boat-shaped cutwaters with broached buttresses at the arch springs. The bridge is 24m wide with three spans of 75m between two of 72m. The piers, 35m long and 5m wide, rest on 2m-thick concrete slabs 10.5m below the river bed, protected up to the high-water level by blocks of granite from the old bridge. The piers are of hollow construction with transverse walls to carry the superstructure. This consists of four reinforced concrete beams which are continuous over the two outer spans to provide cantilever arms for the centre section. The projecting quadrant abutments incorporate dog-leg stone stairs down to the Embankment. The bridge parapet has a ribbed band in high relief and steel guard rails. The northern half of the bridge is in Westminster; the southern half in Lambeth. HISTORICAL NOTE: The first bridge crossing the Thames at this point was built by John Rennie for the Strand Bridge Company between 1811 and 1817. Declared unsafe in 1924, it was taken down in 1937. The foundation stone for the second Waterloo Bridge was cut out of a stone from the first. The stone was laid 4th May 1939; bridge opened by Rt Hon Herbert Morrison 10th December 1945. Some of Rennie's work survives- a section of his balustrade and two of his Doric columns are preserved in the southern abutment.

Listing NGR: TQ3079680504

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30796 80504


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2015 at 02:11:39.