List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1080970



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityNewhamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



30.3.55 Tide Mill (known as the House Mill)


Tide Mill 1776. South facade to Three Mill Lane, gable end and end bays on each side of north facade of multi-coloured stock brick. Centre 6 bays on north side timber framed with some brick infilling and exterior weather boarded. 2 brick bays to either side. Steeply pitched, Welsh slate roof with brick coping to gable ends. 3 storeys with 2 further storeys in roof. 10 sash windows in flush frames to south- ern facade. Cambered head linings under segmental arches. 3 box dormers to each floor in roof. All windows have glazing bars, those of dormers with small panes. Doorways, 2 on ground and 1st floors and 1 on 2nd floor, all placed symmetrically. 2nd floor central tablet with achievement surrounding cartouche with date 1776 and initials DSB. Inside, massive timber knees tie framing of north wall into joists of 1st floor. Massive timber posts of square section support this ceiling. Generally timbered construction throughout except for some concrete flooring on ground floor, and cast iron supporting pillars above. Much of the mill machinery remains including 4 undershut water wheels (some paddles missing). 3 or of 20' diameter and 1 of 19'. 3 of these wheels are 3' wide and would have developed 20-25 HP but the weternmost wheel is 8' wide with a potential of 40-45 HP. Part of drive mechanism and gearing to eastern 2 wheels remains. Hoist flaps to floors above. On 1st floor several millstones, of the French type remain in situ. Eastern bay on this floor contains an almost complete pattern shop with patterns used for cast iron work in the mills and distillery during the C19. The 2nd floor is shaped to form a large timber grain hopper which forms a wedge shaped feature in the ceiling of the room below. Also sack hoist machinery on fourth floor. HISTORY: Mills were recorded in the River Lea in Domesday Book and mills on this site were in the possession of the Abbey of Stratford Langthorne until the Reformation. The mills have had many different functions but the House Mill was used for the distillation of alcohol from the C18. It was last used in 1942. It has consider- able merit as part ofa picturesque group comprising the Clock Mill, the former offices the paved and flagged roadway joining these and the wide expanse of the river with its embanking stone walls in front.

Listing NGR: TQ3828582826

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38285 82826


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2015 at 01:49:04.