List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1056802



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityMudford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262716

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/106 Manor Farm House


- II*

Manor house. 1630 with earlier and later parts. Ham stone ashlar, with extensions in coursed rubble and Mudford brick; concrete imitation stone slates, after fire damage circa 1915, stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attic; South front of 4 bays with one-bay extension to bay-1, with 6+2-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows, and corbelled attic gable with 4-light windows, and ball finials to crown and end of coping. 4-light hollow chamfer windows bays 2 and 4, and a 3-light to bay 3 over a rebuilt doorway; boarded door with architrave and flat moulded hood on console brackets, with cuboid sundial over similar to that of St Mary's Church Mudford (qv) - door knocker, now removed, was dated 1730. 2-storey brick extension in English bond with 4-light mullioned window; later extension in squared rubble to rear. On site of a cell used by monks of Montacute Abbey, developed into house in 1630 by John Harbin; at one time the Courthouse was in its grounds. (Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford: the Story of Three Somerset Parishes, 1982).

Listing NGR: ST5774718897

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Goulding, F, Ashington Chilton Cantelo Mudford The Story of Three Somerset Parishes, (1982)

National Grid Reference: ST 57747 18897


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2015 at 09:05:33.