List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1043639



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293574

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LANGNEY RISE 1. 1065 Langney Priory TQ 60 SW 13/38 27.5.49.


2. The oldest portion of this house is the chapel, refectory and dormitory built by the Cluniacs before 1121 as part of the Grange of St Pancras at Lewes. On 1st floor, garderobe and roof supported by tongued and grooved kingpost. Doorway in church reputed to be of Saxon origin. The walls are chequered work composed of rectangles of sandstone and knapped flints placed alternately. There are 2 buttresses on the South side of which the Western 1 is narrower than the other. It has a double chamfered modified abacus above the ground level, and above this is wider than below, being on that level hollow, and part of the adjoining room on the 1st floor with a window in it. A very unusual feature of which the purpose is obscure but may be connected with the smuggling trade. The South wall has 1 trefoil headed lancet and 3 square-headed windows, 1 of 2 lights. The East wall has a window of 2 lights with cinque-foiled heads and a quatrefoil between these and the pointed arch of the window. This part of the building has a fine timbered roof, now covered with tiles. A cobble fronted building with a lean-to roof has been added to the North side of this medieval part of the house. This addition has been used at some time as a brewery. The West or entrance front is a timber framed C16 building with 3 gables, the ground floor cemented, and a tiled roof. C18 sash windows have been inserted on the ground floor but still have C16 drip- moulds over. The casement windows on the 1st floor are modern. This front, given its fake Tudor covering about a hundred years ago, has a Victorian porch with a slate roof. The West end of the South front, joining this timber framed building to the medieval wing is also Cl6 inside but has been stuccoed and has C18 sash windows inserted in it. On the North side is a C17 brick and sandstone block with a tiled roof and casement windows.

Listing NGR: TQ6321002206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 63210 02206


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Apr-2015 at 04:12:10.