List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1043617



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
East SussexEastbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 293624

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2013

TV 69 NW 14/93 5203

DARLEY ROAD Main Block and Chapel of All Saints Hospital


Built between 1867 and 1874 to the designs of Henry Woodyer. It was built as a convalescent hospital by the Anglican order of All Saints' Sisters of the Poor. Buildings form a roughly cruciform shape. 2 storeys and attics built of brown brick with stone dressings and tiled roof. Central portion of 4 bays with 2 wings each of 7 bays having buttresses, traceried windows and octagonal stair turrets.

Half-hipped dormers. Projecting wing attached to the centre of the south elevation has double or triple traceried heads and some diaper patterned black brickwork. Brick and stone 2 storied entrances set diagonally into angles between central projection and wings, having niches with statues of saints.

Front elevation of projections has arcading on ground floor and 5 bay arcaded balcony with quatrefoil balustrading to 1st floor.

The attached hospital chapel built in 1874 is apsidal-ended and has a bellcote. 6 bay nave with buttresses. It has a fine and complete High Victorian interior with polychromatic brickwork and encaustic tiled floors. The reredos behind the High Altar was painted by Julius Frank of Munich and some of the stained glass is of C19 German provenance. The central east window is surrounded by stone figures of Saints in niches. Contemporary roof with scissor bracketing.

West gallery approached by a stone staircase outside the chapel used by the Sisters for the recitation of their "offices".

Listing NGR: TV6016797444

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TV 60167 97444


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2015 at 01:50:32.