List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1038247



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Telford and WrekinUnitary AuthorityLilleshall and Donnington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 362263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LILLESHALL CHURCH ROAD 1. 5362 Church of St Michael and All Angels SJ 71NW 24/403 18.6.59


2. Sandstone ashlar church with tiled roof. Late Norman nave, the south doorway has 2 orders of shafts with shaft rings, arches with zigzags and keeled roll moulding. Another Norman south doorway probably re-set, with zigzag moulding in 2-centred arch, and shaft capitals with waterleaf. C19 traceried 3-light south nave windows. Late C19 gabled south porch, timber-framed and ashlar. Early English Chancel was lengthened in early C14 with restored Slight east window with reticulated tracery. Lancet and round-arched doorway on south wall of chancel. Straight-headed north chancel window with 3 ogee-arched lights. Early C14 long north aisle with Decorated 3-light east and 2-light west windows. Decorated C19 north windows and 3 buttresses with set-offs. Short perpendicular west tower with angle buttresses, moulded battlements, crocketed pinnacles and quatrefoil frieze. Two-light bell-openings, the mullion and tracery have been taken out except on the east side. Three-light Perpendicular vest window in tower. Interior: 5-bay north arcade with chamfered pointed arches, short octagonal piers with octagonal capitals and bases. Nave and chancel roof have arched braces, collars and tie-beams with brackets underneath, and small cusped wind-braces. Two-centred arch from chancel to north aisle. Norman cylindrical font has dreaded sides with simple decoration and C19 base. Good monument in chancel to Richard Leveson 1661 and his wife 1674 - 2 reclining figures with flanking columns and pediment and putto outside. Royal Arms to Charles II. Stained glass in chancel east window by Evans. The gravestones have been moved and most have been set against the churchyard boundary wall where there are a few C18 but mostly C19 headstones.

Listing NGR: SJ7286615287

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 72867 15285


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2015 at 09:20:08.