List entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Abbey Hills moated site
List entry Number: 1016044
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
|Lincolnshire||East Lindsey||District Authority||Friskney|
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 17-Nov-1971
Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jul-1997
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The remains of Abbey Hills moated site survive particularly well in the form
of a series of substantial earthworks, which together with surviving
historical documentation and recorded finds indicate a site of high status.
The monument has remained largely under pasture and has only been partly
excavated resulting in good preservation of buried deposits. In addition the
waterlogged nature of the eastern and western stretches of the moat indicates
high potential for the survival of organic remains. As a result of the
survival of historical documentation relating to the site, the remains are
quite well understood and provide a good opportunity for understanding the
development and utilization of a large, high status moated site.
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
The monument includes a medieval moated site situated at Abbey Hills
approximately 1km WSW of the village of Friskney. The remains include the
earthworks of a broad discontinuous moat enclosing a roughly rectilinear
island c.1.1ha in area. The western side of the moat is up to 2m in depth,
10m in width and continues for approximately 137m on a NNW-SSE axis. The
northern side of the moat runs for up to 100m on an ENE-WSW axis, although
subsequent farming activity has reduced it to only approximately 7.5m in
width. The north eastern side of the moat, similar in profile and dimensions
to the western side, runs for 135m on a NNW-SSE axis before turning sharply
north east and continuing for approximately 27.5m up to a modern field hedge.
A narrow ditch following the hedge line south east from this point is
considered to represent the original course of the moat, which was partly in-
filled and recut in the post-medieval period as a drainage ditch. A small
causeway approximately 5m wide crossing the moat 25m south of the north
eastern corner of the monument is considered to represent the original
entrance. The construction of a modern field boundary approximately 25m east
of the moat has preserved an area of buried deposits in direct association
with the causeway. On the south east side of the monument the field ditch
interpreted as representing the original course of the moat turns sharply
south west and continues for a further 30m on this alignment before looping
north west for a distance of approximately 65m. A linear channel about 5m in
width linking the south western and north eastern courses of the moat forms a
small sub-rectangular island approximately 40m by 30m in the south eastern
corner of the monument. At this point, the inner edge of the moat appears to
diverge from the field boundary, forming a broad, shallow depression which
continues WSW for up to 100m to link up with the western side of the moat.
On the northern side of the island within the moat are two parallel linear
depressions 25m apart, both approximately 35m in length, 8m in width and
2.5m in depth which are thought to represent ponds. These are linked to the
northern side of the moat by narrow linear depressions interpreted as water
control features in the form of inlet channels. A rectangular platform c.20m
by 3m cut into the bank above the eastern depression is considered to
delineate the foundation of a building. On the north western side of the
island parallel with the moat another sub-rectangular platform approximately
13m by 5m is also considered to represent the location of a building. A sub-
circular depression 5m to the north west of the second platform measuring
approximately 9m by 7m and 1.2m in depth is interpreted as representing the
foundation or cellar of a structure facing the northern side of the moat. A
levelled rectangular platform approximately 35m by 40m bordering the western
side of the moat and delineated to the north, south and west by slight banks
up to 0.6m high is considered to suggest the presence of a yard. The banks are
interpreted as defining the location of three ranges of structures around the
yard in the form of outbuildings or a house contemporary with the moat. A more
undulating area to the east is thought to suggest evidence of agricultural
A small causeway considered to represent a modern field trackway now crosses
the western side of the moat and leads into a second sub-rectangular area
approximately 130m by 55m, the northern, southern and western sides of which
are defined by a field ditch up to 2m in width. The remains include a linear
feature comprising four linked sub-circular depressions up to 2m in depth
which run parallel with the western side of the moat on an approximately
NNW-SSE axis for a distance of 80m. These appear to have been connected to
the northern and southern field ditches by narrow channels about 2.5m in width
which are interpreted as water control features in the form of inlet and
The monument is considered to represent a medieval house, farm and associated
ponds enclosed within a moat. A document of mid-13th century origins details
extensive land holdings in the Friskney area belonging to the Benedictine
Abbey of St Oswald, Bardney. The name of the field in which the monument is
situated, recorded as early as 1829, is considered to suggest some connection
with the abbey. Documentary sources from the 19th century record chance finds
including fragments of mullioned windows, stained glass, pillar bases and the
existence of a small circular room entered by stone steps. Traces of a paved
causeway believed to be aligned with Friskney church were also recovered.
All fences are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Lincolnshire
Oldfield, E, Topographical and Historical Account of Wainfleet, (1829)
White, W, Directory of Lincolnshire, (1872)
RCHME, NMR Complete Listing: TF 45 SE 1,
National Grid Reference: TF 45134 54854
© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1016044.pdf - The pdf will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 04-Jul-2015 at 08:05:28.